Thursday, April 19, 2012

Action Mike Jackson Tribute


http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=WWE&tag=planvictblogn-20&index=dvd&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325
 I first saw Mike Jackson in 1992. He was promoting a show at the Decatur Fairgrounds. He wrestled a big guy called Undertaker #2. To this day I don't know who that guy was. I just know he was able to ape Undertaker's act perfectly.

I did not know who Jackson was then, but I was really impressed that night.

I met Mike Jackson back sixth grade, which would be 1993. He was signing autographs at the Walmart before a free show in the parking lot. There were maybe fifteen people in there but he put on a good show in a rickety ring.

After that I would see him at the County Fair every year. I remember him busting out stuff like Pescados on gravel and doing missile dropkicks.

Years later I found out thru tape trading that Mike Jackson had been a regular on wrestling TV shows for over a decade in the 80s. Like Barry Horowitz I hate to call him a jobber because he was a really good wrestler.

He was at the deep end of the job guy pool. If he was in a match he was guaranteed to get a good bit of offense and even get put over on commentary. If he was in a tag match, he would never take the pin.

Unfortunately he was very small by the standards of the day. One thing about modern wrestling is as guys get bigger and bigger, there is a tolerance for smaller wrestlers. I can't imagine guys like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk even being mid carders in the NWA or WWF in the 80s. Much less World Champions.

Mike Jackson was about thirty years too soon.

No comments: