Thursday, April 08, 2010

Untitled Demolition Project

On the internet, you can get into an argument about anything. With the Internet Wrestling community, that's doubly true. No matter what the topic, you'll find someone who takes the opposing viewpoint. There is no consensus, ever. Yet despite this, when we try to argue that Demolition was an excellent, premier tag team, people just pass by our statements as if they were never there. It goes so far away from conventional wisdom that people don't even register the comment as making sense. It's gobbledygook to them. It's madness. Everyone knows that Demolition was just Vince's third rate Road Warriors rip-offs, an embarrassment that shows the ignorance of the Northeastern wrestling fans with whom they were so over. They had cool music, the great Royal Rumble moment, and their best match is obviously a twenty-man Survivor Series elimination match where they were just faces in the crowd. Oh! And wasn't Moondog Rex good? That's all there is to say, right? Wrong, and we intend to prove it.

In this project, we're going to be looking at a number of Demolition matches and breaking them down in an attempt to show just how good the tandem of Bill Eadie and Barry Darsow were. We'll touch upon Brian Adams too at some point, I'm sure, and we'll do so with as open a mind as possible. To me, a good wrestling match is all about having a good story executed well, and you'll find that tenet all over the Demolition matches we're going to look at. There is just a ton of material out there against a ton of different opponents. They had lengthy face and heel runs at the top of the card and we have PPV, SNME, MSG, Toronto and Boston shows to draw from, with squashes and shorter matches the syndicated shows on top of that.

This isn't nostalgia and it's not just a desire to be contrary. Despite being in a key age group for having grown up with Demolition, Vic and I come from different ends of the spectrum. I'm Northern. He's Southern. I only liked little fast wrestlers as a kid. I hated all the big guys (Hogan, Duggan, Bossman and whoever else too) and had a Rockers pin to prove it. Vic followed the WWF's faces much more. He had an emotional attachment to Demolition that I didn't. Given that I also came in a few years later than he did, they were just the guys who needed 3 people in order to face the Hart Foundation to me. Since then, however, I've gone back and watched as much late 80s/early 90s WWF as possible and have learned to watch things in context and with an open mind. If you told me as a kid, or in the height of my snarkyness ten years ago, that I'd be going around touting some of the things I do, I would have called you crazy. It's amazing what you can see with an open mind. Even so, I can't imagine anyone who knows how to appreciate this era and style of wrestling quite like Vic.

It's fully our intention here to toss as much evidence out there to make our point, and hopefully to get people talking and thinking about Demolition's work. Hopefully we'll bring some good, enjoyable matches to everyone's attention in the process and have some fun doing it.

No comments: