Sunday, March 25, 2012

Konan vs the One Man Gang



Came across this match months ago. One Man Gang is a guy that was criminally underused in the 90s. The dude could still flat out go. Now his first two matches with Konan did not go well. Too great a styles clash. But here he finally figured out how to get a good match out of him.

At first I was not expecting much when Konan tried to initiate a criss cross spot with Gang. But Gang eventually did what he does best. Bumping huge for all of Konan's offense.

Konan is disliked, and rightfully so in some respects. But I really liked him before the heel turn. Partly because at that point in my life, I had not seen lucha or much wrestling outside the American mainstream.

So a lot of his stuff was new to me. Here Gang gets the most out of it, bumping big off everything. Konan knocks him to the floor, but Gang gets the advantage and starts wailing on him.

Back in the ring and he controls with leg and elbow drops. Konan does a good job throwing fired up punches.

I should add Heenan and Schiavonie were on fire here. Heenan got off some funny one liners and Tony did a good job playing straight man.

I don't know why WCW did not sign Gang up. He worked cheap, had a great unique look, was willing to bump big and job to anyone.

No comments: