Sunday, November 21, 2010

Savage Sports Stories Day 32

33.

The kid is advancing in the training. Each day he loses his inhibitions about using weapons. But each day he fails at the end. He can't bring himself to hurt me. Doesn't matter if its a folding chair.

BASH!!!!

A folding chair covered in barbwire.

SHREAD!!!!

A Kendo Stick

CRACK!!!!

A Colecovision

SMASH!!!!

Each day he hesitates and I knock the shit outta him.

Today we are taking a day off before we have to be back on the road for W*RE. Kid asked me to do him a favor. Right now it is hard to tell him no.

"So what is it you want from me kid?"

"Well uh sir. Um you know I like to read comics. well uh they don't know I'm a wrestler but they have seen us hanging out together and well um you are famous for.."

"You want me to sign autographs at your funny book store. Sure I can do that need fifty upfront and five percent of s.... Oh what am I saying friends don't charge for favors."

Can't let a small appearance get in the way of big money.

"Thanks a million Sarge."

"No problem."

****

When Sally first asked me about this I was not sure if I should. They must have figured out I am Overdog by now. But she sounded desperate. Saying that ComiCamelot was taking all of her business. I have to admit I went in there once or twice. Besides comics they have a old fashion soda fountain and old arcade games. I played the X-Men arcade game for hours til I got killed by the Blob. I went to get change but when I came back every character was taken by Dazzler. Nobody wants to be Dazzler. Then I played WAVE Wrestle Fair and won the Omniversal title with The Omeniac. About the only guy who can beat Ransom Fortune.

Anyway I felt bad and said I would try to ask Sarge to show up. I don't ask Sarge about Horse Power stuff. Aside from that one night he never talks about it. We get off the bus and I can't believe what I see. There is a line going around the block.

"Kid you remember what I said about money?"

"Yeah"

"Forget it, my price is 200 bucks and five dollars ahead."

"Yes sir."

****

I hate to say it but this turn out makes me feel good. Why should I be surprised I'm Sergent Sargent and anything I touch turns to gold.

"Uh um uh um"

"Son who do I make this out to? "

"Uh um uh um"

"How about I call you friend."

"Uh um uh."

Got more than a few of thse types. Who could blame the kid. I would be nervous too if I were meeting me. Hell I was nervous when I met Johnny Tex. He was a wrestler who hosted a variety puppet show. Guess it was fitting the Masked Wrecker ended his wrestling career.

Say I don't recognice this toy.

"Hey pal where'd you get this toy?"

"Well um uh it is part of the fifteenth anniversary of Sergent Sargent's Horse Power. They made new toys to go along with the VHS sets they are selling along with something called dvds."

They what? Those motherfuckers at Joyboy better be writing me a big fucking check. It clearly says I get royalties on all Horse Power merchandise regardless if I am featured or not. Shit I wrote the god damn series bible and was story editor.

"Um uh Sarge uh um."

"What is it son?"

"Well um uh when you did the story where Grey Horse killed you and you were a double agent in Necropolis well uh I heard um a rumor you were um uh suppose to commit uh um suicide. Is that true."

"Yeah it is true. But we decided that suicide was pushing the bounderies for a kids show. so we went with Grey Horse shooting me with the Grey Ray and killing me. Here let me sign this to super fan."

"Thanks Sarge!!!!"

"Yeah.... you're welcome."

Amazing how my mind has recovered since I laid off the hard drugs. Maybe I should stop for good.

****

Sarge was great today. I don't know why so many guys don't like him. He spent time with everybody, took pictures and recited Horse Power trivia fotr hours. I never saw a famous person that knowledgeable about their work.

"Hey Sarge"

"3,000, 3,020, 3,040, 3,060. what is it kid you made me lose count."

"Oh sorry Sarge."

"No problem kid what do you want?"

"Just wanted to thank you. Sally said the ComiCrate made more today than they have in the last two months."

"Hey uh no problem. Anything for a....friend. Look kid I'm going out for awhile. I need some time alone."

No comments: